Monday, March 2, 2009

Grocery bag savior


On one of my first flights with a student we were up doing ground reference maneuvers, S-turns, turns around a point and rectangular course. With those maneuvers your close to the ground (600-1000' above the ground) and the fact that it was a pretty windy and bumpy day I started to feel a little sick in the stomach. Luckily it wasn't until the very end that this happened and I just had the student head back towards the airport, while I sneakily opened the vents and got it on my face. Thankfully, it never got to a point where I couldn't handle it but it sure reminded me of a time when it did get to that point.

When I was doing my private training we were coming back from a lesson and on short final I felt something coming up. Not having a puke bag and being low to the ground I just let it come up on my lap!

So I started thinking about when I'm training students, what happens if I get sick or the student gets sick? Even though there are "usually" puke bags in the plane they aren't always easily accessible or even in the plane. So I decided that it would be a good idea to put a plastic grocery bag in my flight bag, just in case.

And then it happened. Coming back from a flight where we were practicing Vx and Vy climbs my student told me that he was starting to feel sick. I said okay and took of the airplane and started searching my flight bag for "the bag". Sure enough, the student couldn't hold it in and puked, IN THE BAG!!! SUCCESS!!!

Next came my second question, being that I hate the smell of throw up, would I be able to hold it in if a student puked. The answer....yes! So another new story for me to add to my story book. The life of a flight instructor continues, my head is filling up with story ideas and I plan to get them down here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment