Friday, July 24, 2009

WOW


Today I got to see something that not many people get to see. First let me set the situation, Grand Forks international is located about 9.1 miles directly east of Grand Forks Air Force Base. GFK AFB used to be a tanker base but is now being transitioned into a UAV(unmanned aerial vehicle) base. They started operating Predator UAVs just this summer. Because of this they need put up a temporary flight restriction(TFR) every time that the UAV flies so it can get up into class A airspace with out interfering with civilian traffic. This TFR extends from the top of the Class D airspace at GFK AFB upto 18,000' MSL.

Usually airplanes are not allowed through TFR's under visual flight rules but because of the high amount of training and our relationship with departure we are allowed to transition through as long as we request it and are in contact with departure.

Today my student and I were practicing XC ops and we departing to the west directly over the base. After we took off we contacted departure and asked for a transition through the TFR. "Sioux 24 cleared through the TFR at or above 3,500 due to Predator ops" was the response from departure. So we climbed up to 3,500 and flew directly over the middle of the AFB.

I knew that since we were cleared above 3,500 that the Predator was probably returning from a mission. Little did I know that when I would look down at the approach end of runway 17 I saw something spectacular. The Predator UAV on short final!

As I completely started ignoring my student, like any good flight instructor does, I watched the Predator touch down and start his ground roll. Little did I know that he wasn't done, power came up and sure enough the nose started to lift up. A touch and go! WOW must be fun!

I've written about them before and I am continually amazed and interested in UAV's and UAV operations.

Side note: a Predator B UAV landed at OSH earlier this week making it the first Predator landing at a civilian airport. The link includes a video if you interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment