Sunday, December 13, 2009

ANE - GFK

Sunday, December 13
Well my time at home is over and it's time to get back to Grand Forks. I was planning on leaving around noon but the weather looks like it's getting worse later in the day. I was also going to fly the kbrew departure out of ANE but because of weather in Fargo I decided to file direct to KGFK.

10:00am: Wheels are off exactly at my schedule departure time(lucky!)
10:10am: Level at 6,000' and cleared direct to Grand Forks
10:15am: Center advises of opposite direction traffic at my 12 1,000' above me.
10:30am: My request for 8,000' is granted and I start my climb. Great weather so I have time to snap a few pictures and mess around with the G1000.
11:15am: I'm now in the clouds. Temp is -14C. I'm always paranoid about ice so about every minute I'm looking for ANY signs of ice. I have a plan to divert the instant I see ice. No ice forms so I press on.
11:30am: Flight Watch advises that I should be clear of IFR conditions in about 20 more miles. I'll keep pressing on, still constantly watching for ice.
11:40am: Flight Watch was right, about exactly 20 NM and I am back in VFR conditions. No more worries I'm home free to GFK
12:20pm: I'm cleared for the visual approach to runway 35L.
12:25pm: Touchdown at GFK

This was an awesome trip. I got to meet a bunch of awesome people at an AWESOME company. I was so impressed with Cessna and how they operate. It is definitely a first class company. It was fun to fly places that I haven't flown before and land at new airports. Being an instructor you forget what flying is actually about. It's about the freedom to fly from Independence Kansas all the way to Minneapolis, Minnesota in less than 5 hours!


Siouxpilot

No comments:

Post a Comment